Governor Roy Cooper announces new task force to address disparities in communities of color
RALEIGH, N.C. (WECT) - In a move to address “disparities in communities of color,” Gov. Roy Cooper announced a new executive order Thursday.
Part of the order involves the creation of the Andrea Harris Social, Economic, Environmental and Health Equity Task Force to address long-term disparities.
“Andrea Harris dedicated her life to eliminating disparities in North Carolina. She fought for social, economic and racial equity,” Cooper said. “We lost Andrea a few weeks ago, and our state will miss her advocacy and her action. Naming this task force in her honor is a way to carry on her mission.”
Department of Administration Secretary Machelle Sanders will lead the group.
The task force will focus on five areas:
- access to health care
- patient engagement in health care settings
- economic opportunities in business development and employment
- environmental justice and inclusion
The order also:
- directs the North Carolina Pandemic Recovery Office to ensure that COVID-19 relief funds are fairly distributed
- expands the capacity of our North Carolina Historically Underutilized Business Office to provide those businesses access to opportunities & resources.
- directs the NCDHHS, along with community health centers, local health departments, rural health centers and free and charitable clinics, to provide COVID-19 testing and related healthcare to uninsured North Carolinians.
Copyright 2020 WECT. All rights reserved.