President Trump travels to North Carolina following Hurricane Florence
(WECT) - President Donald Trump traveled to North Carolina on Wednesday to survey the impact of Hurricane Florence.
"America grieves with you, our hearts break for you, God bless you," Trump said.
Trump told North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper that the federal government is behind the state 100 percent as it continues to recover.
"Nearly 20,000 federal and military personnel are supporting the response efforts along the southeast coast, including the brave men and women of North Carolina and the National Guard," Trump said.
Days after the hurricane rolled through, the region is dealing with massive flooding. In Wilmington, residents lined up by the hundreds for free food, water and tarps while officials opened up to the public two routes that had previously been impassable.
Florence is being blamed for at least 34 deaths in three states.
Remnants of the once-powerful Category 4 hurricane are now a rainy, windy mass of low pressure. The system has sped up on a path toward the heavily populated Northeast.
The federal funding provides assistance to local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations in Beaufort, Brunswick, Carteret, Craven, New Hanover, Onslow, Pamlico, and Pender counties.
According to the office of the Press Secretary, assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster.
On a call with Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles and NC Lt. Gov. Dan Forest Saturday, Trump "assured each elected official that the federal government stood ready and prepared to assist with anything their state and respective communities would need during this natural disaster."
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.