BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WECT) - Part of Village Point Road washed away Friday.
The Brunswick County Sheriff's Office shared a photo on its Facebook page showing a sinkhole that took out half a lane near Lloyd's Oyster House in Shallotte.
On Friday afternoon, the North Carolina Department of Transportation urged drivers in Brunswick County to avoid roads affected by flooding.
Following is a list of roads that were closed or washed out:
- 200 Danford Road Southeast, Bolivia
- Green Hill Road Northeast/Cherry Tree Road Northeast
- Royal Oak Road Northwest, Shallotte
- 100 Midway Road Southeast, Bolivia
- River Road Southeast/Daws Creek Road Southeast. Officials erected a high water sign.
- Danford Road/Business 17 East
- 4700 Ocean Highway West, Shallotte
- Skeeter Hawk Drive Northeast/Town Creek Road Northeast have been closed due to flooding
- 1600 Village Point Road, Shallotte, has been closed due to flooding.
- River Road Southeast/ Fifty Lakes Drive have been closed due to flooding.
- Midway Road Southeast/Gilbert Road have been closed due to flooding.
- Midway Road Southeast/Albright Rd Southeast have been closed due to flooding.
- Green Hill Road Southeast/Albright Road Southeast.
- Shell Landing Road Southwest /Asheboro Street Southwest have been closed
- Clemmons Road /Old Lennon Road Southeast.
- 1200 Lords Branch Road Southeast, Winnabow has been washed out.
- 1000 Berrhill Road, Boiling Springs Lake has been washed out.
- Eden Road/Fifty Lakes Road has been washed out.
Heavy rain for the past couple of weeks has affected many area roadways, but low-lying Brunswick County was hit particularly hard, forcing officials to close the roads.