Premature NICU baby who died twice in operating room gets to go home

Premature NICU baby who died twice in operating room gets to go home

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Aureilo Resendiz has not left his tiny cradle at New Hanover Regional Medical Center's neonatal intensive care unit in 151 days.

"He is a little warrior, a fighting miracle," said NICU nurse Monica Hyatt.

The baby spent six months clinging to life, fighting for each day on Earth.

"I delivered at 28 weeks. He was 2 pounds, 1 ounce, doing great," Tabatha Resendiz, Aurelio's mother, said. "Come March we were supposed to go home  and we get a call on Mother's Day. He was going to surgery after that."

Tabatha was just hours away from taking her pride and joy home when the unthinkable happened.

"He was two days from going home and his intestines had twisted and they had to do emergency surgery," said Hyatt. "He died twice on the operating table and doctors brought him back to life. He is such a fighter. "

A tiny survivor who defied all the odds.

"He is now 10 pounds, 8 ounces," Hyatt said. "He's such a cuddle bug. He just captured my heart."

Hyatt has been by Aurelio's side through it all.

"It was heavy on my heart, so one day I approached her, and I said, 'Miss Monica, I don't know how to ask you, but I would like for you to be Aurelio's godmother,' and she said, 'Are you serious?' and she accepted," Tabatha said.

The nurse is now family member for life, thanks to a little bundle of joy.

"I have a godchild for life," Hyatt said. "I get to be a part of his life forever. There is nothing better."

Thursday afternoon was Hyatt's last time rocking Aurelio to sleep within the hospital walls.

The little boy's adventures at NHRMC have come to a close with his release from round the clock hospital care. He is being bottle fed, but will continue to have a colostomy bag for quite some time.

"It will hit me tomorrow when he is not here, but that's our goal," Hyatt said as tears filled her eyes. "It's our goal to get them home, get them with family and get him well and he has done it."

Tabatha and her husband took their pride and joy home with nurse turned godmother by their side.

Nurses created a bubble parade to congratulate the NICU grad, but Hyatt is confident she'll see Aurelio again.

"It's not goodbye at all," she said. "It's see ya later. I'll see ya later, bud."

Copyright 2018 WECT. All rights reserved.