Former Brunswick Co. deputy arrested on drug, embezzlement charges
BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WECT) - A former Brunswick County Sheriff's Office deputy was arrested on multiple drug charges Thursday night.
John Christian Blasingame, 42, of Leland, was arrested by the BCSO Vice-Narcotics Unit on Thursday night and charged with:
- sell/deliver a Schedule II Controlled Substance
- possession with the intent to manufacture/sell/deliver a Schedule II Controlled Substance
- simple possession of a a Schedule VI Controlled Substance
- simple possession of a a Schedule III Controlled Substance
- felony possession of a Schedule II Controlled Substance
- possession of marijuana paraphernalia
- possession of drug paraphernalia
- embezzlement of state property
Officials say Blasingame was taken into custody following a traffic stop Thursday evening on Chappell Loop Road in Leland.
He was booked under a $1.5 million bond.
According to arrest warrants, Blasingame embezzled a sheriff's office law enforcement identification card, a sheriff's office badge, a sheriff's office tie with pin, a sheriff's office lapel pin and sheriff's office plastic junior deputy badges.
Blasingame was a deputy in Brunswick County from Jan. 19, 2016 until he was dismissed by Sheriff John Ingram on Aug. 5, 2016.
In May of last year, Blasingame was arrested on an assault charge after the alleged victim of an incident took out a warrant against him. It is unclear if that charge was dropped or if it is still pending.
Prior to his employment with the sheriff's office, he was an officer with the Leland Police Department, but was fired in 2012 following an internal investigation into the department.
Copyright 2018 WECT. All rights reserved.