911: 'I just heard gunshots and I saw a girl running'

911: 'I just heard gunshots and I saw a girl running'

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Police say 42-year-old Shantell Denise Williams died after being shot Tuesday afternoon on S. 17th Street

According to police, witnesses called 911 to report gunshots in the area of S. 17th Street and Wrightsville Avenue just before 4 p.m.

"He's just standing there popping them off, man. He shot two more times when you answered," one caller said. "He just had his arm outstretched, and a gun. I heard something that sounded like a gun. And I'm looking around and to my left there he was, popping them off."

Officers found Williams on the sidewalk when they arrived, suffering from gunshot wounds.

"I just heard gunshots and I saw a girl running. She was limping. And then a car in a convenience store driveway pulled out really fast and I heard another gunshot," another caller reported.

Another person called 911 to report the shooting and said there was someone trying to hit Williams with a car.

"We were ducking and had to lock the door. There's a silver Lexus out there trying to run this woman over and trying to kill her," the caller said.

Williams was taken to the hospital where she passed away from her injuries.

Detectives are asking for the public's assistance in locating 37-year-old Joseph Cornell Corbett III in relation to this murder.

Corbett has a dragon tattoo on his left inner forearm and a cross tattoo on his right inner forearm. He is considered armed and dangerous and people should not approach him.

On Feb. 27, Corbett filed a motion for a restraining order against Williams following an alleged assault at Williams home at 1014 Hanover Street. In the complaint, Corbett said "Shantell cut my thumb off with a knife in my home." Williams was arrested on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury that same day.

Corbett also claimed Williams threatened to have him killed, saying he had "been shot nine times because of her on two separate occasions by family members." The motion was dismissed, but Williams was ordered to have no contact with Corbett when she was released from custody. She was scheduled to appear in court on the charge Thursday.

According to police, Corbett was involved in a shooting in May 2016 with one of Williams' relatives.

Williams went inside her home with Rondell Williams on Hanover Street and found Corbett under the sink armed with a gun. She immediately ran out of the house and heard gunshots. When police arrived, they found Rondell Williams and Corbett both with gunshot wounds. They were taken to the hospital to be treated for their injuries. The incident is still under investigation.

In June 2016, Williams filed a restraining order against Corbett, citing an alleged incident the day of the shooting. In the complaint, Williams wrote that on May 18, 2016, "Corbett burn[ed] me, cut my hair and put a gun to my head." She added that she broke up with him as he "was being abus[ive] to me," and had "made threats that he will kill me if I leave him."

She also called Corbett a "dangerous man and a good manipulator," in the complaint. The order was dismissed in August 2016.

Corbett also was the victim of a shooting in November 2015. Police said he was shot on his motorcycle in the 400 block of North Tenth Street. Draquon Antonio Nixon and Jarrin Anthony Clarida were arrested on an attempted murder charge in connection to the incident.

NC Department of Corrections records show Corbett was convicted of assault on an officer in 2003, and possession of schedule VI in 2014.

Detectives are asking anyone with information to call the Wilmington Police Department at 343-3609 or Text-A-Tip by texting "CRIMES" and starting the text with "Tip708." All texts to Text-A-Tip are anonymous.

Copyright 2017 WECT. All rights reserved.