Sprinklers extinguish Sunday afternoon kitchen fire

Published: Jun. 19, 2016 at 8:30 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - The Wilmington Fire Department was called to the 1000 block of Thomas C Jervay Place Sunday afternoon after receiving a water flow alarm.

When firefighters got to the scene just after 1 p.m. they realized an unattended pot of oil had started a kitchen fire.

No one was home when the fire started, but the sprinkler head in the kitchen activated and extinguished the fire.

"This was an example of home sprinklers doing a great job of keeping a fire from destroying the entire property and saving lives, since this was a multifamily apartment building," said Public Information Officer David Hines in a statement.

He said the fire was contained to the stove top and only caused minor damage to the hood and cabinets.

The damage was estimated to have cost around $3,000 for fire, smoke and water damage from the sprinkler activation.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2016 WECT. All rights reserved.