Poll: Shark bites not impacting NC beachgoers' plans

Published: Jul. 14, 2015 at 8:16 PM EDT|Updated: Jul. 18, 2015 at 8:16 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - The recent shark bites off the coast aren't impacting most North Carolinians' plans to visit the beach, according to a recent poll.

Public Policy Polling in Raleigh surveyed 529 registered voters from July 2-6. The survey asked questions related to recent events like the mass shooting in Charleston and the shark bites off the coast of North Carolina.

Of those people polled, 40 percent said they usually visit North Carolina beaches every summer.

When asked if shark bites would make the survey takers less likely to visit the beach, 82 percent said they didn't make a difference, 15 percent said they would be less likely to go to the beach, and 3 percent were not sure.

Eight shark bites have been reported off the coast of North Carolina this year. The most recent was a Camp Lejeune Marine who was bitten in Surf City on July 4.

Prior to the latest attack, North Carolina had already set a record for the most shark bites off the state's coast since the Florida Museum of Natural History's International Shark Attack File began keeping records 80 years ago.

To view the full results of the Public Policy Polling survey, click here.

Copyright 2015 WECT. All rights reserved.