Killer show opens at City Stage
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - The newest production from City Stage takes a look at some infamous people in U.S. history.
The theater company is performing Stephen Sondheim's dark comedy musical Assassins.
It brings nine killers or would-be killers together:
- John Wilkes Booth (assassin of Pres. Abraham Lincoln)
- Charles Guiteau (assassin of Pres. James Garfield)
- Leon Czolgosz (assassin of Pres. William McKinley)
- Giuseppe Zangara (attempted assassin of Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt)
- Lee Harvey Oswald (assassin of Pres. John F. Kennedy)
- Samuel Byck (attempted assassin of Pres. Richard Nixon)
- Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme and Sara Jane Moore (attempted assassins of Pres. Gerald Ford)
- John Hinckley, Jr. (attempted assassin of Pres. Ronald Reagan)
A proprietor helps lead them on their paths, while a balladeer sings their stories.
Through both upbeat and poignant songs and intense scenes, the audience gets a closer glimpse into these people's lives.
"With part of the story being that you get to delve into the characters' backgrounds, you sort of get to know a little bit about their motives or their personal stories or the wrongdoings that they perceived have happened to them in their lifetime," said Christopher Rickert who portrays Sam Byck. "You're going to run the gamut basically of the emotions of the show. You're going to go from funny to dark to sad at times, and it's just a very entertaining journey."
- April 17-20, 25-27, May 2-4
- 8 p.m.
- City Stage at Level 5
For tickets, call (910) 264-2602 or click here: http://bit.ly/1gepo9B
Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.