WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – Employees of First Med in Wilmington said they were not allowed into work Saturday morning, their only indication something was wrong with the company.
Their suspicions were correct after fellow employees confirmed the news on Facebook. The door codes of the First Med office in downtown Wilmington had been changed and the employees had been locked out of their computers.
The employees have still not gotten a formal call letting them know that the company has ceased operations.
"I found out on Facebook and from a coworker that I no longer had a job," said First Med Dispatcher Stacey Carpenter. "I am absolutely devastated. I don't know what I am going to do."
Employees say they work with about 50 other employees at First Med who are now jobless. They are not only concerned with losing their jobs during the holiday but for their patients who depend on them for dialysis treatments.
A spokesperson for the company says the official policy of the company is that it has "ceased operation."