NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – Good Samaritans and fire crews rescued a woman from a burning home in New Hanover County.
It happened in the 4918 North Pompano Court, near North McMillan at the Stone's Throw town home complex.
According to David Hines with the Wilmington Fire Department, the fire started in the kitchen. It has been ruled accidental, with damage estimates of up to $70,000.
Gabe Toole, who lives nearby, said he heard screams from inside one of the units. However, the smoke and fire kept him from getting into the building.
He and another good Samaritan got into the building by breaking in through a second story window. Inside, they said they found a woman unconscious.
Toole and another man pulled the woman out of the building. Firefighters arrived and aided in her rescue.
She was taken to the hospital with possible injuries from smoke inhalation. According to Tim Smith with the Wilmington Fire Department, she is in stable condition.
"There were a lot of people out there," said Blackburn. "I think just in the hype of, 'There's a fire, maybe I can do something,"…but it really took about three people to coordinate it, and it worked out well."
"I pulled her out," said Bartels. "I didn't really think too much about it. I didn't think of any training or anything; I just kind of did it."
No other injuries were reported.