Baseball petition group will wait for November vote
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - The group that vocally opposed tax payer money funding a baseball stadium in Wilmington will quiet down for a moment.
Co-organizer Josh Fulton said Wednesday that he prefers to avoid legal action against the city unless it's absolutely necessary. He would rather wait for the outcome of a bond referendum in November.
Tuesday night, council announced the petition submitted to the city was invalid because the names were not supplied with an affidavit, which WECT.com reported last week was a requirement of the city charter. The process of studying the idea of bringing minor league baseball and a stadium to the city continues.
Petition organizer Josh Fulton appeared live via phone on Carolina in the Morning Wednesday.
"I think their interpretation is ridiculous," Josh Fulton said. "If you look in the charter, it says nothing about every single signature has to be accompanied by an affidavit and that's what they are requiring by us."
Fulton said defeating the baseball project might not need the petition anymore. The only reason he would challenge the city's decision is if the bond referendum failed and the city found a different way to fund baseball.
"Anyone interested in helping potentially with that lawsuit, depending on how things can go, can email me at email@example.com. Any lawyers, people who are interested in potentially helping with legal fees."
Fulton says the fact that the New Hanover County Board of Elections verified the signatures is reason enough to believe they're valid.
"They're clearly trying to stonewall the entire issue," Fulton said.
He added that the problems his group has faced during the petition process will be remembered the next time they vote for council members.
"They've made our lives difficult for a lot of different reasons and people are gearing up to try to get rid of a lot of them," he said
Copyright 2012 WECT. All rights reserved.