The North Carolina prison system does not have a schedule to test all of its inmates for COVID-19, despite repeated claims it will complete the testing by mid-August, which came after a judge ordered mass testing.
Days after the North Carolina legislature’s passage of a bill that includes a measure to further restrict death investigation records from public access, some lawmakers say they plan to walk back the provision.
While North Carolinians were sleeping early Friday morning, the General Assembly swiftly passed a bill that would shield death-investigation records from the public. The bill was requested by N.C. Department of Health and Human Services and passed unanimously by lawmakers.
NC prison officials transferred more than 1,000 inmates between various prisons in April and May, at a time when they said inmate movement had been largely restricted. Experts say each inmate movement increased the risk of spreading the virus.
Officials with the White House Coronavirus Task Force are concerned with North Carolina’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, specifically the state’s inability to quickly marshal testing resources, multiple people familiar with the matter say.
The North Carolina Department of Public Safety is asking law enforcement officers from other state agencies whether they would be willing to work at state prisons in the event the agency has a major shortage of correctional officers due to COVID-19, according to documents obtained by WBTV.
Under pressure from advocacy groups and media organizations, North Carolina health officials said they would release details for the first time Monday on the locations of dozens of nursing homes and other group living facilities with COVID-19 outbreaks across the state.
The limited testing for COVID-19 has made it difficult for scientists to accurately predict the spread of the virus, two professors at UNC Charlotte told WBTV on Monday. That same day, lawmakers announced the first random sample testing in North Carolina.
A North Carolina company is charging veterans thousands of dollars for services obtaining disability benefits that veterans could get for free, a WBTV investigation has found. The VA has warned about companies engaging in such practices.
A 16-year-old boy who was violently assaulted by hospital security guards and then punched in the face by a sheriff’s deputy with his hands cuffed behind his back took a plea deal in juvenile court Monday afternoon.
A concerned Gaston County woman put a hidden camera in her mother's room at a nursing home to ensure her mom was getting appropriate care. Instead, the video caught two nursing assistants abusing her mother within 24 hours of the camera being installed. The DA won't press charges.
Children of wartime veterans—including children whose parents have been killed or injured in combat—are scrambling to adjust to major cuts to a promised state-funded scholarship weeks before the semester is set to end.
A report released Wednesday morning by investigators hired by an oversight committee of the North Carolina General Assembly concluded that “criminal violations may have occurred” in the process used by Governor Roy Cooper and his staff to issue a critical permit for the Atlantic Coast Pipeline.
A concerned parent called police about interactions between his son and the principal at his son’s school more than a decade before the principal was arrested on charges related to having sex with students, records obtained by WBTV show.
The budget set to be released by the North Carolina Senate next week will include money to test all untested sexual assault kits across the state, according to a source with knowledge of the budget, who asked not to be named to discuss legislation that had not yet been released.
The North Carolina State Board of Elections is expected to name Karen Brinson Bell as its next director when it meets by telephone Monday, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the board’s plans.
NCGOP Chairman Robin Hayes, who spent a decade in Congress representing a district that stretched from the Charlotte area to Fayetteville, surrendered himself to authorities and made a first appearance at the US Courthouse in Charlotte on Tuesday.
Three search warrants were unsealed Wednesday, giving new details in the ongoing criminal investigation into allegations of election fraud in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District and other races in Bladen County.
Harris, who was the unofficial winner of the 9th District election in November, made the announcement just days after a four-day hearing into alleged election fraud held by the North Carolina State Board of Elections.
The Chairman of the Bladen County Board of Elections filed a new affidavit, made public for the first time Friday, that said staff at the county board of elections found three absentee ballot request forms submitted in the 2018 general election that had been forged.
The campaign of Republican Mark Harris said he plans to file a legal challenge on Thursday that will ask a court to order he immediately be certified as the winner of the 9th Congressional District election.