Over 2,500 athletes expected in Wilmington area for Battleship Half Marathon
WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) - Over 2,500 athletes are expected in the Wilmington area on Nov. 12 for the 2023 Parkway Subaru Battleship Half Marathon.
“Approximately 2,500 participants are expected to attend this year representing 34 states, and 12 countries, including men and women serving in every branch of the United States Military. Participants will be joined by family members, spectators and event volunteers, nearly doubling the number of attendees anticipated for the weekend,” a Wilmington and Beaches Convention and Visitors Bureau announcement states.
The day will also include the GFL Battleship 10k and 5k. All three events will start and end at Water Street Park in downtown Wilmington.
“We are pleased to welcome back athletes and spectators for the 2023 Parkway Subaru Battleship Half Marathon, GFL 10K and 5K,” said Kim Hufham, President/CEO of the New Hanover County Tourism Development Authority. “We look forward to providing a memorable coastal Carolina experience and an opportunity for visitors to experience restaurants, breweries, and other businesses in our destination.”
Traffic impacts and road closures are expected as a result of the run.
Per the Wilmington Current, street and lane closures include:
- Saturday, November 11 at Noon:
- Water St. between Market St. and Princess St.
- Sunday, November 12 at 3 a.m.:
- Princess St. between N Front St. & N Water St.
- Orange St. between Water & Front
- Water St. between Red Cross & Orange
- Front St. between Brunswick and Red Cross
- Front St. between Ann and Orange
- Hanover St. between Nutt St. & N Front St.
- Grace St. between N Water St. & 2nd St.
- Red Cross St. between N Water St. & N 2nd St.
- Northbound S Front St. between Burnett Blvd/Carolina Beach Rd. and Orange St.
- Southbound N 2nd St. between Grace St. & Red Cross St.
- Southbound exit ramp to S Front St. from Cape Fear Memorial Bridge / Hwy. 74/76
- S Front St. on-ramp to Cape Fear Memorial Bridge / westbound Hwy 74/76
- Greenfield St. between S Front St. & S 2nd St.
Additionally, the inside lane of W. Lakeshore Dr., from S 5th Ave. to Woodland Ave. will close, and there will be no vehicular traffic clockwise around Greenfield Lake.
Copyright 2023 WECT. All rights reserved.