School closures, early release schedules announced due to potential inclement weather
BOLIVIA, N.C. (WECT) - Several school systems have announced altered schedules due to inclement weather expected to impact the Cape Fear area on Friday, Sept. 22.
- New Hanover County Schools announced that there will be no early dismissal, and that there are no scheduled athletic games Friday. Practices and after-school events will be decided by the principals.
- Pender County Schools announced that it would operate on an early release schedule for Friday, with the release schedule for each school available online here.
- Brunswick County Schools will operate on an early release schedule for Friday, with high schools releasing at 11:45 a.m., middle schools at noon and elementary schools at 12:45 p.m. All afterschool activities have been cancelled.
- Brunswick Community College and all of its campus locations will close at 1 p.m. on Friday. Evening classes are included in this cancellation, and courses will move to remote classes where possible. The college is expecting operations to resume as normal on Saturday.
- Columbus County Schools has cancelled all after-school activities for Friday.
PCS released the following statement:
“The safety and well-being of our students, staff, and the broader public are our top priorities. Our district is in close coordination with local authorities and meteorological experts to stay informed and prepared for any potential impact,
“We are committed to keeping the public informed. In the event of any changes to school operations or updates related to the weather, we will communicate promptly through various channels, including email, our official website, and social media,
“As we navigate this weather event, please know that we are dedicated to ensuring the safety of our community members. Your cooperation and understanding are greatly appreciated as we continue to monitor this situation closely.”
Brunswick County Schools said the following in a news release:
“Due to the threat of inclement weather, Brunswick County Schools will operate on an early release schedule on Friday, September 22, 2023, for staff and students,”
“All Friday afterschool activities are canceled.”
“All afterschool activities for Thursday, September 21, 2023, are still on schedule.”
Copyright 2023 WECT. All rights reserved.