Cape Fear Cooking: Easy Valentine’s Treat with Sweet Heat
WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) - With Valentine’s Day almost here, you may be wondering what to get that special someone in your life. A nice dinner, flowers or jewelry are all top choices...but just about everyone loves something sweet. This year though, think outside the box (of chocolates) and whip something up in the kitchen to add a little pizazz to February 14.
Lucky for you, Chef Gwen Gulliksen from GLOW Academy of Wilmington stopped by the WECT Kitchen and shared a recipe that delivers the sweet...and brings the heat.
Check out the video above and the recipe below for this “Spicy Chocolate Mousse.” Enjoy!
Spicy Chocolate Mousse Recipe:
Heavy Whipping Cream 1 cup
Hot chili pepper 1 small
Chocolate chips, mini semi-sweet 1 cup
Water ¼ cup
Cocoa powder 2 Tbsp
Sugar 1 Tbsp
Salt 1/8 tsp
Vanilla extract 2 tsp
Whipping Cream, canned 1 can for garnish
Cocoa Powder 1 Tbsp, for garnish
Cayenne Pepper, ground ½ tsp, for garnish
1. Steep the cream with the chili pepper overnight, remove chili pepper before whipping to semi-stiff peak. Reserve chilled.
2. Place the chocolate chips, water, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and vanilla into a Pyrex bowl, microwave in 30-second increments until chips are melted, then stir well.
3. Carefully old the melted chocolate into the whipped cream.
4. Divide into 4 - 4 oz. mason jars and keep chilled until service.
5. Top with canned, squeezy whipping cream at service.
6. Dust with cocoa and/or cayenne pepper as a garnish.
*The mousse can be made ahead a couple of hours but save the garnish whipping cream until just ready to serve.
Copyright 2022 WECT. All rights reserved.