Advertisement

Five injured in house fire sparked by electric space heater

Heroic actions of nine-year-old girl save family
Five people were taken to the hospital after a fire sparked by an electric space heater burned down a home.
Published: Nov. 29, 2021 at 12:24 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

TABOR CITY, N.C. (WECT) - Five people were taken to the hospital after a fire sparked by an electric space heater burned down a home.

Officials say a 9-year-old girl woke up her family members and alerted them of the fire.

First responders received a call regarding a residential structure fire in the 100 block of C H Buffkin Avenue in Tabor City just before 1 a.m. Monday morning.

When they arrived, fire crews found five individuals who had suffered burns when the mobile home caught fire. All five were taken to surrounding hospitals by ambulance or Airlink helicopter. A sixth person was checked and released by a local hospital.

Investigators with the Columbus County Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was caused by an electric space heater in a child’s bedroom.

Along with the 9-year-old, a 5-year-old girl also was injured in the fire along with a 36-year-old woman and two men, ages 49 and 31.

“The fire resulted in a total loss of structure and belongings,” a spokesperson for the Fire Marshal’s Office wrote in a news release.

Responding agencies included the Tabor City Fire Department, Tabor City Emergency Services, Fair Bluff Fire and Rescue, Cerro Gordo Fire and Rescue, Whiteville Rescue, Horry County Fire and Rescue and Columbus County Emergency Services.

Copyright 2021 WECT. All rights reserved.