Expected traffic impacts during Saturday’s Ironman triathlon
WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) - The Ironman 70.3 North Carolina triathlon will take place on Saturday, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., and with it, thousands of contestants will flock to the Wilmington area which will have a significant impact on traffic.
The race has three components: a 1.2-mile swim course, a 56-mile bike course, and a 13.1-mile run course.
The swim begins in the Intracoastal Waterway and the bike ride goes from Wrightsville Beach, north on Hwy. 421, a loop in Pender County and then returning to downtown Wilmington by Hwy. 421 South. The run begins at Cape Fear Community College loops to Greenfield Park and back.
The following roads will close on Saturday, 10/23 at 5:30 a.m.
- Road Closure - North Front Street between N 3rd & Red Cross Streets.
- Road Closure – North 2nd St. between N Front & Brunswick Streets.
- Road Closure – Brunswick St. between N 3rd & Nutt Streets.
- Road Closure – Nutt St. between Brunswick & Hanover Streets
The following lanes/roads will close for the Run Course on Saturday, 10/23 starting at 8 a.m. with full closures of all roads/lanes by 9 a.m.
- Lane Closure – Southbound Lane of Front St. from Red Cross St. to Dawson St. (with cross streets of Red Cross, Walnut, Chestnut, Grace, Princess, Market, Dock (after Farmers Market – 2pm), Orange, Nun, & Castle Streets open to vehicular traffic)
- Lane Closure – Northbound Lane of South Front St. between Dawson St. & S 3rd St./Burnett Blvd/Carolina Beach Rd.
- Lane closures – Close northbound & southbound turn lanes of S 3rd St. onto Greenfield St.
- Lane closure – Inside lane of W. Lakeshore Dr., from S 5th St. to Stadium Dr. – no vehicular traffic clockwise around lake.
- Road Closure – Dawson, Wright, Meares & Marstellar St.’s at S Front St.
- Road Closure – Greenfield St. between S Front St. & S 5th St./Lake Shore Dr. (eastbound lane open for resident/business access to Greenfield St.)
- Road Closure – Southbound 3rd St. at Dawson St.
- Road Closure – East Lake Shore Dr. & S 4th St. (entrance/exit to Greenfield Lake)
- Road Closure – Amphitheater Dr. & Honeysuckle Dr. around Greenfield Lake Amphitheater
Copyright 2021 WECT. All rights reserved.