Three arrested in connection to double murder at home of TRU Colors COO

Koredreese Robert Tyson, 29, and Bri-yanna Emily Williams, 21, were killed; a third victim survived the shooting
Three arrested in connection to double murder at home of TRU Colors COO
Published: Aug. 18, 2021 at 10:39 PM EDT|Updated: Aug. 19, 2021 at 9:47 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

NEW HANOVER COUNTY, N.C. (WECT) - Three people have been charged in connection with the July double murder that happened inside the home of the chief operating officer of TRU Colors Brewing Co.

Dyrell Green, Omonte Bell, and Raquel Adams are each charged with two counts of murder, one count of attempted murder, and conspiracy to commit murder. They are being held in the New Hanover County jail under no bond.

All three men are validated gang members, Sheriff Ed McMahon said during a Thursday morning media briefing to announce the arrests.

District Attorney Ben David said that it is too early to determine if the death penalty will be sought against the suspects.

David said that Adams was previously arrested in New Hanover County on Aug. 10 on weapons charges, while Bell was arrested in Charlotte and Green was arrested in Wilmington on Wednesday.

Dyrell Green, Omonte Bell and Raquel Adams are charged with two counts of murder, one count of...
Dyrell Green, Omonte Bell and Raquel Adams are charged with two counts of murder, one count of attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder.(DA's Office)

David thanked the community for providing information that aided law enforcement in making the arrests.

“Investigations are truly something that require all of us in the community to bring the truth into a courtroom, and verdict means to speak the truth and we intend to fight for verdicts and get justice for those who can no longer speak for themselves,” David said, while still urging members of the community to come forward with information to further help prosecutors.

“There are people that we know have information out there and we are urging them to still come forward. The quality of what we can put into a courtroom requires us to involve everyone who is listening now, and hopefully you feel more safe now, today, than three weeks ago,” David said.

Koredreese Robert Tyson, 29, and Bri-yanna Emily Williams, 21, were killed in the July 24 shooting. A woman, whose name was not released, was also injured and survived.

RELATED: ‘There’s a lot of blood’: 911 call reveals more details of double homicide at New Hanover County home

The murders happened at the Providence Road home of George Taylor III, COO of TRU Colors Brewing Company, which hires active gang members in an effort to reduce gun and gang violence. Taylor’s father, who is also named George, founded the company in 2017.

A prior press release from the sheriff’s office stated that Tyson was a “validated gang member.”

Tyson worked for TRU Colors though it is unclear if he was employed at the company at the time of his death. He is featured prominently in photographs in an article Forbes posted in April 2021 about the company and its strategic partnership with Molson Coors.

WECT also interviewed Tyson in January 2018 ahead of an event organized by TRU Colors, in which he said he was a member of the Gangster Disciples gang.

Adams, who is one of the suspects in the murders, was a member of the United Blood Nation, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

He was arrested as part of Operation Dodgeball, which targeted gang members who were trafficking heroin. Adams pled guilty to possession with the intent to distribute heroin and was sentenced to 37 months in prison. Adams was released from prison in December 2018 and his parole ended in Sept. 2019, according to the NC Department of Corrections.

David, in Thursday morning’s media briefing, specifically spoke out against gang-related violence in the community and the “downward spiral of hate” it can perpetuate.

“Today’s victim is tomorrow’s defendant,” David said. “That’s vigilante justice...that only leads to more hate and more violence and leads to much more incarceration. Let us do that job...let us speak for the in the process at the [courthouse] rather than try and take matters into your own hands.”

David added that he doesn’t think it’s possible for gang members to renounce the violence while still being affiliated with their gang.

“Experience has taught me that’s not possible. It’s like trying to separate the water from the wet,” David said. “The truth is people are being targeted for their status of being in validated gangs…so even if you are sincere in your reform and wanting to get out of that violent lifestyle without renouncing the gang and violence at the same time we believe that violence will continue.”

WECT reached out to George Taylor following the July shooting. While he has declined requests for an on-camera interview, he sent this statement last month:

“Yesterday I lost a friend to violence. It’s unfortunately not the first time I’ve lost someone I cared about to violence, and each subsequent loss has weighed heavier as I see so much potential in these young men and women lost forever. Our whole team knows this, both affiliated and not. These incredible and selfless people are dedicated to driving peace on our city’s streets. And to that end, they have undoubtedly saved countless lives. But I don’t know if we ever get to zero. You see, violence comes from exclusion and a lack of opportunity, and so until all of us can come together and prioritize grace and understanding over blame and divisiveness, it will never go to zero. For peace to happen, it takes the whole city uniting and committing to change.”

This was the second shooting at a property owned by the Taylors. Both involved Tyson.

In November 2019, a shooting on Red Cross Street injured a 19-year-old. A home at 617 Red Cross Street was also struck by gunfire.

At the time, the home was owned by George Taylor, the founder of TRU Colors. Tyson was arrested on the scene and charged with possession of a firearm by a felon, a local ordinance violation and going armed to the terror of the people.

Wilmington Police are investigating after a fire at Tyson’s grave on Aug. 11. So far, no arrests have been made.

Copyright 2021 WECT. All rights reserved.