Art and The Bloom event will add color to your world
WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH, N.C. (WECT) - The New Hanover Garden Club will showcase floral creations inspired by art at its annual Art & The Bloom event at the Blockade Runner Beach Resort in Wrightsville Beach January 7-10, 2021.
The four-day event includes demonstrations, workshops, jewelry fashion shows, artwork sales, afternoon teas, and a horticultural presentation by renowned gardening lecturer and author Frank Hyman.
The host and event organizers have implemented safety measures in accordance with the Governor’s COVID-19 guidelines to keep guests safe and ticket sales are limited to encourage social distancing.
The Art & The Bloom exhibition and competition showcases floral arrangements inspired by artwork assigned to designers in a blind draw weeks before the event. This year’s artwork comes from private collections and the Wilmington Art Association.
Arrangements will be judged by National Garden Club judge and Flower Show School Instructor Claudia Bates, and NC State Floral Association judge and instructor Tammy Yow Russell.
Russell, a multi-award winning designer, will also conduct a workshop on miniature floral design including how to create wearable flowers and unique flower accessories.
Bates, a National Garden Club Flower Show School Design Instructor, will hold a workshop on making a filling a creative design container.
Patricia Savage, a renowned botanical illustrator from Chapel Hill will present a workshop entitled “The Language of Flowers”.
Proceeds will benefit gardening projects and scholarships for nonprofit organizations. Projects that have benefited from Art & The Bloom and New Hanover Garden Club previously include the following:
- Provided four $1,000 and two $500 scholarships to Cape Fear Community College for students studying landscape architecture or gardening studies
- Restored two storm-ravaged gardens at two churches in Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach
- Made 100 Blessing Bags for Covid-19 first responders at the New Hanover County Regional Medical Center
- Planted and maintained a pink ribbon garden at the Lower Cape Fear Hospice
- Funded the supplies for a special needs greenhouse at Laney High School
- Funded two junior garden clubs at an elementary school and a preschool
- Made and delivered miniature arrangements to a local assisted living facility
- Funded the planting of fruit trees at an orchard that serves the underserved in Wilmington
- Funded the purchase of gardening tools for the Bellamy Mansion
- Funded restoration work (purchase of trees) for the gardens at the Bellamy Mansion in downtown Wilmington
- Made and delivered miniature floral arrangements for Meals on Wheels trays
Exhibition general admission is January 8-10th, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Buy tickets here. The Wilmington Art Association will be hosting a sales gallery each day. See full schedule of events below.
Copyright 2021 WECT. All rights reserved.