Gov. Cooper announces new Executive Order to prevent evictions for eligible North Carolinians

Gov. Cooper announces new Executive Order to prevent evictions for eligible North Carolinians
Updated: Oct. 28, 2020 at 3:19 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

RALEIGH, N.C. (WECT) - Gov. Roy Cooper announced a new Executive Order Wednesday to prevent evictions for people who can’t afford their rent.

According to a September report from the National Council of State Housing Agencies, there are currently an estimated 300,000-410,000 renters in the state unable to pay their rent.

Last month, the Center for Disease Control and Protection announced a nationwide residential eviction moratorium from Sept. 4 through Dec. 31. But the governor’s office says that confusion over who is protected by the moratorium has caused inconsistent enforcement and unwarranted evictions in North Carolina.

“Without today’s action, almost a quarter of a million eviction filings could be submitted by January 2021,” Cooper said in a news conference Wednesday. "Many families are trying to do the right thing, but this virus has made it difficult. Today’s order builds on the CDC’s federal eviction moratorium. It requires landlords to ensure tenants are aware of the CDC protections and how to claim them.

“This Order makes it clear that the CDC moratorium applies to all eligible North Carolinians, not just those who live in federally subsidized housing. And it ensures that recipients of North Carolina’s HOPE program are still able to qualify for these protections.

“The result during this global pandemic will be more people staying in their homes, more landlords getting rent and fewer utility companies shutting off power."

The Executive Order can be found at the end of this story.

Halloween

Dr. Mandy Cohen, Secretary of North Carolina’s Department of Health and Human Services, urged North Carolinians to refer to her department’s guidance for ways to celebrate Halloween in a safer way.

“We can celebrate Halloween this weekend,” Cohen said. “We just need to do some of the lower risk activities. I am planning to do a trick or treat scanveger hunt with my girls at a nearby park. And I’ll also lay Halloween candy out on a large table outside our front door. That way no one has to dig their hands into a candy bowl or even ring our doorbell.”

The NCDHHS' Halloween guidance can be found here.

HAPPENING NOW: Gov. Cooper is scheduled to give an update on COVID-19.

Posted by WECT News on Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Copyright 2020 WECT. All rights reserved.