Latest North Carolina news, sports, business and entertainment at 9:20 p.m. EDT

VIRUS OUTBREAK-NORTH CAROLINA

Doctor: 2 weeks for North Carolina order to take slow cases

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina's state epidemiologist says the new statewide stay-at-home order won't show any conclusive effect on blunting the intensity of the new coronavirus for about two weeks. New restrictions ordered by Gov. Roy Cooper covering business operations and prohibitions of gatherings of more than 10 people begin late Monday afternoon. Several urban counties and some cities already began enforcing similar orders in their localities late last week. The state now counts more than 1,300 positive COVID-19 cases and six deaths. The positive cases include 25 in rural Northampton County, nearly all of which are linked to an adult care home there.

CONGRESS-SENATOR-STOCKS

FBI reaches out to Sen. Burr over stock sales tied to virus

WASHINGTON (AP) — The FBI has reached out to Sen. Richard Burr about his sale of stocks before the coronavirus caused markets to plummet. That's according to a person familiar with the matter who was not authorized to discuss it and spoke on condition of anonymity. The outreach suggests the Justice Department may be looking to determine whether Burr exploited advance information when he dumped as much as $1.7 million in stocks in the days before the coronavirus wreaked havoc on the economy. Burr has denied wrongdoing but has also requested an ethics review of the stock sales.

VIRUS OUTBREAK-UNC-ADMISSIONS

UNC system changes admissions requirements due to outbreak

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — The University of North Carolina System says it's changing its admissions requirements for the incoming freshman class because SAT and ACT tests have been halted by the coronovirus outbreak. The News & Observer of Raleigh reports that under the changes, each individual university can now choose to admit students with a minimum 2.5 weighted high school GPA or a combined SAT score of 1010 or an ACT score of 19. The proposed policy was scheduled to take effect in 2021 if approved, but the UNC Board of Governors voted by phone during a special meeting on Monday to expedite the process.

AP-NC-VIRUS OUTBREAK-HOAX ARREST

Police: Man threatened to spread virus in online 'hoax'

HAVELOCK, N.C. (AP) — Police in North Carolina say they've filed charges against a man who claimed on Facebook that he had the coronavirus and was going to infect others with it. The Craven County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement on Monday that Christopher Floyd, 44, of Havelock, has been charged with disorderly conduct. The Sheriff’s Office said that citizens had contacted authorities about the posting. Investigators determined that Floyd did not have the virus. They said he what he posted was a hoax. It's unclear if Floyd has hired an attorney. A phone number listed for him in public records is disconnected.

WHITE HOUSE-CHIEF OF STAFF

Meadows resigns House seat, starts at White House on Tuesday

WASHINGTON (AP) — Rep. Mark Meadows of North Carolina is resigning his congressional seat effective 5 p.m. Monday as he assumes the post of White House chief of Staff. Meadows will take over the White House post Tuesday. Even while he held his House seat these last several weeks, Meadows has been the de facto chief of staff. Meadows represented Trump in Senate negotiations on the $2.2 trillion economic rescue package to lessen the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. Meadows is Trump’s fourth chief of staff, taking over for Mick Mulvaney, who served as the acting chief of staff since January 2019.

BLUE CROSS-CEO

Anthem executive becomes next Blue Cross NC president, CEO

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is hiring an executive from a major Blue Cross insurer in multiple states as its next president and CEO. Blue Cross NC announced on Monday that Tunde Sotunde will begin on June 1 after the trustee board picked him for the new jobs. Sotunde is a pediatrician who is currently president of the Medicaid unit of the government business division within Anthem Inc. He succeeds Patrick Conway, who resigned in September under pressure after a vehicle wreck and impaired-driving charge three months earlier. An interim CEO is currently in place.

RELATIVES KILLED

Police: Man who shot, killed mother and grandparents charged

JACKSONVILLE, N.C. (AP) — Authorities say a North Carolina man who killed his mother and grandparents was arrested at a grocery store. Jordan Tyshon Meade was booked into a detention center Saturday on charges including three counts of murder. Deputies say they traced an abandoned car back to the home of Meade’s grandparents in Jacksonville and found 60-year-old Geraldine A. Hawks and 71-year-old Emmitt Jordan Hawks Sr. both dead from a gunshot wound. Meade’s mother, 48-year-old Jackqueline Meade, was also found fatally shot in the house next door. Twenty-year-old Meade is being held on no bond for the three murder charges and on a $20,000 bond for additional charges.

SUSPECTED OVERDOSE DEATHS

North Carolina man charged in suspected overdose deaths of 3

BUNNLEVEL, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina sheriff's office says it charged a man with distributing drugs to three people who were found dead of suspected overdoses in a car. The Harnett County Sheriff's Office said in a statement Sunday that 33-year-old Gerrard Lasalle McLean faces three counts of felony death by distribution after authorities found the bodies of 27-year-old Brittany Shaw, 31-year-old Laketa Vinston and 44-year-old Ervin Bass in a parked car behind a Bunnlevel home Saturday morning. Sheriff Wayne Coats said in the statement that preliminary findings indicate the deaths were possible narcotics overdoses. The bodies were taken for autopsies and McLean was set to appear in court Monday.