WILMINGTON, N.C. (WECT) - Investigators say a cooking fire burned a duplex home in Wilmington last week and killed a dog.
Firefighters were called to respond to a home on Penn Street. According to New Hanover County dispatch, the person who lives in the home called 911 to report the fire and was outside of the house when the call was made.
Two families lived in the building totaling five adults and five children.
The building suffered about $50,000 in estimated damages.
Firefighters pulled a dog from the duplex and administered CPR, but unfortunately, the dog did not make it.
“We were able to get inside and make sure there was nobody inside, we did a quick search," said Capt. Derek Mickler. "We did recover a dog. Unfortunately, the dog did not make it but there were no injuries of the sort.”
Red Cross assisted both families..