Two Kure Beach homes destroyed in early morning fire
KURE BEACH, N.C. (WECT) - Two homes were destroyed in an early morning fire in Kure Beach on Wednesday.
The fire started at a home at 302 S. Sixth Ave. around 1:30 a.m. before spreading to a second home at 605 I Ave.
Heavy smoke and flames were coming from the property when officials arrived on the scene. The roofs collapsed on both homes and both are considered total losses.
According to Kure Beach Fire Department Chief Ed Kennedy, a flood light outside of the garage caused the fire.
A firefighter was treated for dehydration at the scene.
One of the homeowners, Steve Fryxell, said he and his wife were sleeping when a neighbor alerted them that the house was on fire. They then alerted another neighbor whose house was damaged by the fire.
“I heard this banging on my window and my neighbor from across the street who had come out to smoke a cigarette, and he noticed there was a fire going on in my alley,” Fryxell said. “So we went to look at it, it right at the peak of the garage. So I came out and looked at it and realized it was pretty serious.”
Chief Kennedy said that Sgt. Ryan Kennedy went into the second house that caught fire and helped a woman and dog escape.
Carolina Beach Fire Department, Carolina Beach Police Department, New Hanover County Fire Rescue, New Hanover Regional EMS, Kure Beach Police Department and the Wilmington Fire Department assisted Kure Beach officials at the scene.
Copyright 2019 WECT. All rights reserved.