Woman dies in house fire in Evergreen

Woman dies in house fire in Evergreen

COLUMBUS COUNTY, N.C. (WECT) - A woman died in a house fire Saturday morning in Evergreen.

According to Columbus County Fire Marshall Shannon Blackman, 67-year-old Debra McNair was trapped in the house located at 6046 Princess Ann Road and perished in the fire.

Emergency crews were dispatched to the home shortly after 10:30 a.m. The first arriving unit spotted flames coming through the roof from what appeared to be the dining room area of the house.

Blackman said that the victim’s 68-year-old husband was on the porch with a water hose trying to gain entry in an attempt to rescue his wife.

The man later was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Two small children and the couple’s son also live at the residence but were not home at the time of the fire.

The Columbus County Fire Marshal’s Office and the SBI believe the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction in the dining room.

Copyright 2019 WECT. All rights reserved.