FEMA approves $9.5 million for New Hanover Co. hurricane debris removal

FEMA approves $9.5 million for New Hanover Co. hurricane debris removal

RALEIGH, NC (WECT) - New Hanover County is getting some financial assistance for debris removal following Hurricane Florence.

According to a news release from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, $9.5 million has been approved to reimburse the county for removal of debris.

More than 1 million cubic yards of vegetation and other debris was collected from public rights of way throughout the county after Florence. The vegetative debris was chipped into mulch, and all debris was disposed of at the New Hanover County Landfill in Wilmington.

FEMA’s public assistance program provides grants to state and local governments, and to some private nonprofit organizations to reimburse for the cost of debris removal, life-saving emergency protective measures and permanent repair work to damaged infrastructure.

The agency's cost-sharing public assistance program reimburses applicants no less than 75 percent of eligible costs and the remaining 25 percent is covered by the state.

FEMA’s share for this project was $7.1 million. The federal portion is paid directly to the state, which disburses funds to the agencies, local governments and to certain private nonprofits that incurred costs.

For more information on North Carolina’s recovery from the storm, visit ncdps.gov/Florence and FEMA.gov/Disaster/4393.

Copyright 2019 WECT. All rights reserved.