WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - A Wilmington woman reportedly shot and killed an intruder last month after he wouldn’t leave her home, 911 records released Wednesday reveal.
Law enforcement officers are still investigating the death of 31-year-old Bryon Funderburke Jr., who was found fatally shot in a home on South 13th Street in the Hillcrest Housing community on Dec. 14, 2018.
The 911 call provides the first glimpse into what may have happened.
The woman, who has not been identified publicly by police, reported the shooting just before 6 p.m., according to 911 logs.
“I didn’t know I left my house keys in my door and I was getting in my shower, and… I shot this man,” the audibly distraught woman said. “I was telling him to get out my house and he wouldn’t leave.”
The caller hung up a short time later and did not answer when called back, according to 911 records.
Linda Thompson, a spokesperson for the Wilmington Police Department, declined to answer specific questions about the incident, saying the case is still under investigation.
“No arrests have been made at this time,” Thompson said in a phone interview Wednesday afternoon.
At the time of the shooting, Funderburke was on supervised probation stemming from a Jan. 11, 2018 conviction on charges of possession of a schedule II substance and driving with a revoked license, according to N.C. Department of Corrections records. He had numerous prior convictions on drug, larceny, and trespassing charges.