WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - A pet owner is mourning the loss of their dog while recovering from smoke inhalation after an apartment fire in Wilmington Tuesday night.
Firefighters were called to respond to reports of smoke and flames at Mill Creek Apartments around 10:15 p.m. Within half an hour, the Wilmington Fire Department tweeted crews had the fire under control.
The fire originated on a second floor unit of the apartments, said Lt. Tilmon with the Wilmington Police Department.
A pet dog died in the fire and the resident of the apartment was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
The American Red Cross is working to help people who have been displaced from the fire.
Investigators say the fire was a
ccidental and originated in the kitchen. An estimated $75,000 worth of damage was done to the structure and its contents.