Posted by Debra Worley - email
NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - Tuesday night Waste Management pitched their plan to handle New Hanover County's garbage collection.
They proposed to expand the current landfill, giving it a lifetime of about 50 years. They also want to improve recycling collection by installing automated drop off centers at convenience stores.
Debate erupted at the Coastline Convention center over the future of Waste-Tech, the county's waste-to-energy facility.
"It takes the risk away from the county and gives it to an industry leader like waste management that has some number of years and decades of experience operating facilities like Waste-tech," said Waste Management Market Director Greg Peverall.
Members of the county solid waste board said that better management by our commissioners, not corporations, is the answer.
"If this facility had been allowed to operate as it should have been with the tipping fee as proposed by the people who know how to run it," said advisory board chairman Buck O'Shields. "It would be just like the waste management facility, they would be online 90-92% of the time."
The Solid Waste Advisory Board will make their final presentation to commissioners Monday, January 19. Their plan will cost $66 per ton, where as waste management's plan costs $51 per ton.