Posted by Debra Worley - email
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Residents of a Wilmington home woke up to flames Wednesday morning.
According to firemen, the blaze began on the second floor of a house between 10th and Rankin Streets around 7:40 AM.
Residents said the fire started near a stereo system in the room on the second floor.
Firefighters were able to contain the flames, but the fire left an estimated $50,000 worth of damage.
"I went upstairs as far as I could, but the smoke was so bad, so we turned around and I told him I said knock on the doors to make sure nobody is in the other rooms," said resident Fabian Carr. "But, thank the Lord nobody was hurt or nothing. A lot of our stuff was destroyed, we don't know where we are going to stay right now, but one thing about it, we got our lives and that's the main thing."
Firefighters say structure fires are more common in cold weather. They advise residents to take caution when using space heaters and other warming devices.