Posted by Debra Worley - email
NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - After Christmas there's always the question of what to do with the old tree?
Now, New Hanover County residents can put their holiday greenery to good use. Christmas tree recycling is a good way to reuse the firs and helps spruce up local landscape.
Before recycling your tree, be sure to remove all of the decoration and lights. The trees will be ground into mulch for landscaping material or boiler fuel.
You can recycle your Christmas tree at these locations from December 26 - January 31.
- Smith Creek Park - off Gordon Road (The park will be developed later this year so it is not yet on any map. From Gordon Road, it can be accessed from Harris Road.)
- Landfill - 5210 US Hwy 421 North
- Diversified Biomass - on Sunnyvale Dr
- Myrtle GroveMiddle School- 901 Piner Rd
You can also recycle wrapping paper and cardboard boxes. They can be taken to any of the county's recycling sites:
- Market Street beside Blair Elementary School
- Monkey Junction at Moose Lodge 343 on Carolina Beach Road
- Murrayville at Lowes Food
- Castle Hayne beside Hardees
- Veterans Park, behind Murray Middle School
- Landfill on Hwy 421
Beach town residents with curbside recycling should put the paper into their recycling bins for pickup.