Expungements in North Carolina

On Jun 30, 2008, Horace wrote:

I have a problem and maybe you can point me in the right direction.

I had a tenant who signed a five year lease. Nine months in the lease they decided to call it quits. Packed up and moved over night. The lease is not problem, the tenant wrote me three bad checks; $400. $500. & $1500.

I sent these checks to the NC worthless check program in the courthouse for collection. After several letters to the Sheriff, they finally served a warrant or summons to the person who wrote the checks. The checks were filed in January 08. It is now July and I have not heard a word from the courts. What is my next move?

Thom Goolsby's response:

Horace:  Call the Clerk of Court or, better yet, go down to the courthouse and find out what's up.  You can also sue the party in civil court for your losses under the contract.

If you have a question for Thom you can email him at thom@goolsbylaw.com or visit him on the web at www.goolsbylaw.com