CAROLINA BEACH -- A man has been arrested on several counts of indecent exposure.
Carolina Beach town officials sent out this news release Tuesday morning:
The Carolina Beach Police Department, along with the Southport and Boiling Spring Lakes Police Departments, recently arrested Jonathon Michael Runyon, 24, of Southport following a series of indecent exposure reports from juveniles in each of the three towns.
Carolina Beach police initially investigated reported incidents of indecent liberties with a minor here on May 5 and May 10, 2007. Victims reported a white male exposing himself to four juvenile females at different locations. One victim reported the man drove a maroon (or burgundy) car and he stopped at an intersection to let the children walk by. As they were walking by, he spoke to them and exposed himself, according to the police report. The investigation expanded to the Boiling Spring Lakes Police Department and the Southport Police Department after a joint investigation revealed a suspect had been developed in the three jurisdictions for similar charges.
On May 15, 2007, a person in a vehicle matching the description of the suspect was identified in Carolina Beach. A photograph lineup of the driver was prepared and four Carolina Beach girls identified Runyon as the perpetrator.
Runyon is currently being held in the Brunswick County Jail and bond was set by a Brunswick County magistrate at $182,000. Runyon is charged with the following:
- Indecent Exposure with a Minor - 4 counts - Carolina Beach Police Department
- Indecent Liberties with a Minor - 4 counts - CBPD
- Indecent Exposure with a Minor - 1 count - Southport Police Department
- Indecent Liberties with a Minor - 1 count - SPPD
- Indecent Exposure with a Minor - 1 count - Boiling Spring Lakes Police Department
- Indecent Liberties with a Minor - 1 county - BSPD