SHALLOTTE -- At TK's Diner you can whiff the aroma of fried fish and squash, but there is one smell missing, cigarette smoke. With several complaints from customers, and after employees went to their doctors wheezing and coughing, owner Todd McLeod knew he had to make a decision
He decided to ban cigarettes. In December, he posted signs to announce there would be a new rule in the new year.
"A lot of our customers since we have gone non-smoking have made a point to come up and thank us for going non-smoking," said McLeod.
First-time customer Joan Eccard says it reminds her of home.
"I was very happy to see that, because we moved here from outside of Washington D.C. in Montgomery County, Maryland where all our restaurants are smoke free," said Eccard.
Former smoker Marvin Williams agrees. He didn't come here before the ban.
"I don't have to worry about the smell of smoke, although I don't mind the smell of smoke. I don't mind not having it either," said Williams.
McLeod says to complete the "no smoking" process at the restaurant, they even washed the walls with chlorine to get rid of the smokey smell.
Reported by Bernadette Jay