A man was lighting a fire in the fireplace of his home on Park Avenue when an ember jumped onto the Christmas tree. Within a matter of seconds the tree was in flames.
The man tried to drag the tree out of the house and that spread the fire to other parts of the home.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames, but the house was badly damaged. The man and another person in the house were taken to the hospital.
Officials say this incident is a reminder that it's important to play it extra safe with live Christmas trees.