Sheriff: I Won't Step Down - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Sheriff: I Won't Step Down

NEW HANOVER CO. -- Before it was announced Tuesday that former New Hanover County Sheriff's Deputy Christopher Long's second degree murder charge was dismissed, WECT conducted an exclusive interview with Sheriff Sid Causey.

He talked about the harsh criticism he's received about Long's actions. Some have said Causey should resign, but he says he has no plans to step down. In fact, he's planning to run for sheriff one more time.

Last week, Causey said he would take full responsibility if an investigation found that Long acted unlawfully. Causey says he did take responsibility by firing Long last Friday after the sheriff's office wrapped up its own investigation.

Causey says resigning is out of the question.

"If I would step down, I would betray not only the people that elected me and that I promised to protect and serve, but I would leave these 400 people in a bad way."

Causey also said his department is raising money for Long's family for Christmas. They've received checks from people as far away as Charlotte.

Long's attorney says Long will get the $50,000 back he paid for bond, but Causey says Long will not get his job back.

We haven't heard from Causey as of Wednesday afternoon to see if the department will continue collecting money for Long.

Reported by Kacey Gaumer

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

    Severe reaction to new sandals leads woman on a painful path

        One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction.  She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>

    One woman wants to warn people about her painful path, the result of a severe and debilitating allergic reaction. She had no idea what she was allergic to until she visited a fourth emergency room in two weeks.    

    More >>
  • 'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    'The Phantom' serial killer of children out of prison, living in Tucson

    Thursday, April 27 2017 12:17 AM EDT2017-04-27 04:17:43 GMT
    Friday, April 28 2017 9:21 AM EDT2017-04-28 13:21:13 GMT
    Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)Convicted killer William Huff was spotted riding his bicycle through a Tucson neighborhood. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

    More >>

    William Huff terrorized Sierra Vista during the spring and summer of 1967. Despite a sentence of 40 years to life, the Arizona Board of Executive Clemency voted to release him from prison into home arrest. Family members of the victims are concerned for the safety of the community, as are new members of the Clemency Board. CBS 5 Investigates videotaped Huff riding a bike through his Tucson neighborhood. There are no restrictions placed on his proximity to children.

    More >>
  • GRAPHIC: Buncombe Co. man admits to killing, dismembering pregnant TV chef, husband

    GRAPHIC: Buncombe Co. man admits to killing, dismembering pregnant TV chef, husband

    Thursday, April 27 2017 5:18 AM EDT2017-04-27 09:18:54 GMT
    Thursday, April 27 2017 7:27 PM EDT2017-04-27 23:27:02 GMT
    Robert Jason Owens' 2015 mug shot (Source: BCSO)Robert Jason Owens' 2015 mug shot (Source: BCSO)

    The Buncombe County man charged with murder in the deaths of a TV chef, her husband, and unborn child pleaded guilty to killing the victims and dismembering their bodies during a hearing Thursday and was sentenced to prison.

    More >>

    The Buncombe County man charged with murder in the deaths of a TV chef, her husband, and unborn child pleaded guilty to killing the victims and dismembering their bodies during a hearing Thursday and was sentenced to prison.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly