WILMINGTON -- A potentially dangerous gas leak is now under control.
Friday afternoon, a Bobcat rolled over a gas pipe on a vacant lot near 5th and Dock Streets. Workers first thought it was just air being released, but it turned out to be odorless natural gas. Officials realized the gas did not have enough of the chemical injected into it to make it smell.
Fire Chief Sam Hill says this kind of mistake could've put people in Wilmington in serious danger.
The gas line without the odor was cut off until it reaches normal levels again.