Wilmington Neighborhood Temporarily Evacuated

DECEMBER 29, 2005 -- A Wilmington neighborhood was evacuated Friday afternoon after emergency workers thought there was a gas leak. It turns out a backhoe clearing out a house on Fairway Drive backed into a propane tank, but first responders initially thought it might have been a gas line.

Neither the property owners or the workers knew the tank was there. One neighbor describes what he saw when the accident happened.

"Well, it looked like a big water spout, but we smelled the gas. At first we thought it might have been something caught on fire, but as it turned out there was a smell and we knew it was gas," says Manford Koehncke.

The tank is temporarily sealed. It is now the property owners' responsibility to have it moved.