Local Fire Department Receives Huge Grant - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Local Fire Department Receives Huge Grant

NOVEMBER 23, 2005 -- The Hampstead Fire Department is receiving federal funds that will go a long way in helping fight fires and keep the budget in check.

A homeland security grant worth $131,000 will help the department purchase several dozen sets of turnout gear, including helmets, boots and airpacks. The grant will pay for 95% of the equipment. The department will foot the other 5%. At $6,500, it's a small price for all the gear they will receive.

Firefighters say this grant is helpful in not just providing the equipment, but also allowing for financial flexibility for other department needs.

Reported by Joe Keiley

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • College student arrested; tried to trade chicken Alfredo, Sprite for sex

    College student arrested; tried to trade chicken Alfredo, Sprite for sex

    Thursday, December 14 2017 9:52 AM EST2017-12-14 14:52:41 GMT

    Youngstown State University student Albert Maruna was caught red-handed and arrested this week after he allegedly attempted to have sex with a 15-year-old boy, who turned out to be an undercover officer.  

    More >>

    Youngstown State University student Albert Maruna was caught red-handed and arrested this week after he allegedly attempted to have sex with a 15-year-old boy, who turned out to be an undercover officer.  

    More >>
  • Doctor accused of spiking girlfriend's drink with abortion pill

    Doctor accused of spiking girlfriend's drink with abortion pill

    Thursday, December 14 2017 1:50 PM EST2017-12-14 18:50:19 GMT
    Thursday, December 14 2017 1:57 PM EST2017-12-14 18:57:50 GMT

    Brook Fiske and Sikander Imran had been dating on and off for three years. Imran, a doctor, had moved from Rochester to Arlington, VA, for a new job when he learned Fiske was pregnant.

    More >>

    Brook Fiske and Sikander Imran had been dating on and off for three years. Imran, a doctor, had moved from Rochester to Arlington, VA, for a new job when he learned Fiske was pregnant.

    More >>
  • Mississippi school waits three days before telling parents about child's suicide note

    Mississippi school waits three days before telling parents about child's suicide note

    Thursday, December 14 2017 11:37 AM EST2017-12-14 16:37:12 GMT
    Source: WLBTSource: WLBT

    On top of that, it was days before his guardians found out about that plea for help. The boy's grandparents say his teacher, at McCoy Elementary School in Yazoo City, found the note Monday.

    More >>

    On top of that, it was days before his guardians found out about that plea for help. The boy's grandparents say his teacher, at McCoy Elementary School in Yazoo City, found the note Monday.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly