A rabid beaver attacked a father and daughter out kayaking - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

A rabid beaver attacked a father and daughter out kayaking

A rabid beaver attacked a father and daughter out kayaking in Adams County, PA. (Source: WPMT/Dan Wherley via CNN) A rabid beaver attacked a father and daughter out kayaking in Adams County, PA. (Source: WPMT/Dan Wherley via CNN)

BUTLER TOWNSHIP, PA (WPMT/CNN) – A peaceful day kayaking turned into something straight out of a horror movie for a father and daughter in Pennsylvania.

That's because they came head to head with a rabid beaver.

Dan Wherley and his 7-year-old daughter Layla were kayaking on the Conewago Creek with their dog Ellie May when a beaver started scratching and biting Wherley's brand new kayak.

"And I thought, 'That's pretty cool – a beaver came up to us!'" Wherley said.

Wherley even grabbed his phone to record the seemingly harmless encounter, thinking no one would believe him.

But he soon discovered the beaver was relentless.

"It wouldn't stop, so I used my paddle, tried to hit it to get it away, and it just wouldn't stop," Wherley said.

Wherley used what he had on hand: his paddle.

"I hit him with [the paddle] a lot, but once I knew he wasn't stopping, I pulled it in half, and I was holding it like this and hitting him with the metal part. I figured that would do more," he said, demonstrating how he struck the beaver with his paddle.

The beaver finally let up – and went straight for little Layla's kayak.

"The beaver came up to the kayak, and tried to get in the kayak," Layla said.

Wherley rushed to her rescue.

"I jumped out of my kayak and ran to her," he said. "I got to her kayak the same time the beaver did. It climbed up on the back of her kayak, started to, and I had to punch it to get it off, because I didn't have anything with me."

Eventually, the fight went to shore, where Wherley killed the beaver.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission confirmed the beaver had rabies; the Wherleys had to get a number of shots after their encounter.

"I was just worrying about [Layla] getting bit. That would've been horrible. I couldn't imagine," Wherley said.

Layla's now understandably scared to get in a kayak, but said she may try again one day soon.

As for her dad, he said he'll definitely be keeping an eye out the next time he's on the water.

"Well, it found us. We didn't find it. It found us," he said.

People might be wondering: What did the dog do the whole time?

Wherley said it sat in the bushes, hiding.

Officials said this is the first time there's been a rabid beaver in Adams County, PA.

Copyright 2018 WPMT via CNN. All rights reserved.

• Raycom reportsRaycom reportsMore>>

US says conserving oil is no longer an economic imperative

Sunday, August 19 2018 7:26 AM EDT2018-08-19 11:26:45 GMT
    Monday, August 20 2018 12:43 AM EDT2018-08-20 04:43:55 GMT
    The Trump administration says conserving oil is no longer an economic imperative for the U.S. (Source: Pixabay)The Trump administration says conserving oil is no longer an economic imperative for the U.S. (Source: Pixabay)

Science Says: Hotter weather turbocharges US West wildfires

Sunday, August 19 2018 11:27 AM EDT2018-08-19 15:27:02 GMT
    Monday, August 20 2018 12:42 AM EDT2018-08-20 04:42:47 GMT
    (AP Photo/Noah Berger). FILE - In this Aug. 7, 2018 file photo, firefighters monitor a backfire while battling the Ranch Fire, part of the Mendocino Complex Fire near Ladoga, Calif. The years with the most acres burned by wildfires have some of the hot...(AP Photo/Noah Berger). FILE - In this Aug. 7, 2018 file photo, firefighters monitor a backfire while battling the Ranch Fire, part of the Mendocino Complex Fire near Ladoga, Calif. The years with the most acres burned by wildfires have some of the hot...

An AP analysis finds a clear connection between warmer temperatures out west and more land burned by wildfires.

US approves new generic competitor to EpiPen

Thursday, August 16 2018 3:47 PM EDT2018-08-16 19:47:00 GMT
    Monday, August 20 2018 12:03 AM EDT2018-08-20 04:03:43 GMT
    The new generic version will be sold by Teva Pharmaceuticals. (Source: AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File)The new generic version will be sold by Teva Pharmaceuticals. (Source: AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File)

US officials approves new generic competitor for emergency allergy medication EpiPen.