September 21, 2005 -- Fourty-nine year old, Gregory Jones died in an early morning fire in Carolina Beach. A fire broke out at the Sun Skipper Condominium Complex on Carolina Beach Avenue around 4am.
Firefighters from Carolina Beach and Kure Beach quickly responded and were able to contain the fire to one unit. Firefighters removed Jones from the blaze. Jones was taken to New Hanover Regional Medical Center where he later died.
Authorities say a lit cigarette found burning in a couch ignited the blaze.
Reported by Kacey Gaumer