BLADEN COUNTY, NC (WECT) - Community members, local leaders and law enforcement gathered Wednesday to remember those who died in the line of duty.
The Bladen County Sheriff's Office hosted its first peace officers memorial in Elizabethtown. Dozens came out to honor five law enforcement members who lost their lives while on duty from 1967 to 2012.
"I feel like our members that made the ultimate sacrifice deserve to have this," Bladen County Sheriff Jim McVicker said. "We have been talking about it for several months and we owe it the families. We will never forget the ones who made the ultimate sacrifice, never ever."
Those honored were:
- Chief Roy Franklin Fores, Bladenboro Police, died in the line of duty Sept. 3, 1967
- Chief Marvin James Bell, Elizabethtown Police, died in the line of duty Sept. 30, 1972
- Police Officer Brian Joe Ramey, Bladenboro Police, died in the line of duty May 12, 2001
- Deputy James Brian Collins, Bladen County Sheriff's Office, died in the line of duty, Sept. 26, 2001
- Deputy Dewayne Charles Hester, Bladen County Sheriff's Office, died in the line of duty, June 8, 2012
A permanent memorial for these fallen officers also sits outside of the Bladen County Sheriff's Office.