WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - A Wilmington mother wants to warn parents after her baby nearly choked while eating from a sealed cup of Siggi's yogurt.
Kate Supa and her 11-month-old Knox were grabbing a coffee and some breakfast at Starbucks on Oleander Drive when Knox started to choke.
"We are very lucky in that aspect that he wasn't seriously hurt," Supa said. "I think he was just a little scared and I think we were all a little bit shaken up."
According to Supa, she got a sealed vanilla Siggi's yogurt and shortly after she started feeding Knox, the baby began to choke.
"At first, I was super confused because he was eating yogurt and there was nothing in it," Supa said. "I reached my finger down his throat and I didn't feel anything at first. I went down a little bit further and I scooped out a metal earring."
Supa says she was stunned and somewhat panicked to find a large, dangly metal earring in the sealed cup.
"At first, I was just shocked, like, how did this get in here?" Supa said. "It seems to me like somebody was manufacturing the yogurt, realized they were missing their earring, didn't tell anybody, and it ended up in my son's yogurt in his throat."
She told the managers inside, who gave her a refund and told her Starbucks corporate would be in touch. While she has yet to hear from Starbucks, Supa says she does not blame the coffee company.
"It wasn't something Starbucks created and produced and I get that part of it," Supa said. "I also get that accidents happen, but as the yogurt manufacturer, if somebody's working on the assembly line with food, you would think they wouldn't be allowed to wear jewelry or Band-Aids or anything like that that could end up in something that you're eating. I'm not out on a witch hunt to sue for all the money in the world. It's just something I think parents need to be aware of."
The sharp nature of the earring could have punctured Knox's throat.
"I called the doctor and they told me as long as he wasn't spitting up blood or having any trouble breathing that he likely hadn't punctured anything," Supa said. "We are very lucky in that aspect that he wasn't seriously hurt. I think he was just a little scared and I think we were all a little bit shaken up."
Supa says she'll think twice about what she feeds her baby, even when it is something most parents would assume is safe.
"I think that we're so trusting," she said. "I go out to eat a lot and I'm so trusting of whatever I'm eating and that was prepackaged yogurt. I didn't think anything could possibly be in there and I think becoming a parent is scary enough. I have a 2 1/2 year old and an 11 month old so I've only been doing this for 2 1/2 years and it's scary. You want to know that you're trusting what you're feeding your children. I went to Starbucks to get him low-sugar vanilla yogurt and he could have choked to death."
WECT reached out to Siggi's and Starbucks multiple times. A Siggi's customer service representative said someone would get back to us.
Supa said she plans to write letters to both companies.