It's the time of year when fresh strawberries begin to make an appearance on store shelves.
Chef Gwen Gulliksen from Cape Fear Community College shares a recipe for a dessert that features some locally- grown berries.
STRAWBERRY LEMONADE SHORTCAKE
Makes approximately 12-1.5" shortcake biscuits
Pre-heat oven 425 degrees
Flour, White AP 1 cup
Baking Powder 1 ¼ tsp
Salt, Kosher pinch
Cream 2/3 cup
Vanilla ½ tsp
Sugar 1 Tbsp
1. Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl then make a well with the dry ingredients then add the cream, vanilla and sugar.
2. Use a biscuit cutter to mix biscuit dough
3. Cut the dough until it is crumbly
4. Dust the counter with flour- gently roll the dough out to 1" thickness.
5. Use a 1.5" round cutter to cut out approximately 12 biscuits
6. Place biscuits on a treated baking pan touching each other
7. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown & serve warm or save for later
Strawberries, fresh 1 QT, halved
Sugar, granulated 1 Tbsp
Lemonade, froze ½ container
Vanilla 1 tsp
1. Mix all the ingredients together and let sit for 30 minutes
2. Serve with shortcake with whipped cream or ice cream or both – yum!
3. To assemble, slice open shortcake biscuit, fill with strawberries, top strawberries with ice cream, top ice cream with biscuit top and serve whipped cream in the crook of the biscuit and bowl and serve.