Elon, NC (WECT) - Third-seeded UNCW is going back to the CAA Men's Tennis Championships finals for the second straight year after dominating No. 2 seed Elon, 4-1, in the semifinals of the eight-team bracket on Saturday at Elon's Jimmy Powell Tennis Center.
The Seahawks avenged a 4-3 loss to the Phoenix during the regular season and ran their record to 18-4. UNCW will face the #1 William & Mary vs. #5 Drexel winner in Sunday's championship match at 10 a.m.
UNCW, which defeated W&M, 4-2, in last year's finale, is seeking its second straight championship and fourth title in six years.
The Seahawks are appearing in the CAA championship match for the eighth time overall. UNCW advanced to the CAA championship match for the sixth time in the last 10 years.
The Seahawks set the tone early by winning the doubles point for the 13th time in their last 15 matches. After dropping the first match off the court, UNCW reeled off a pair of victories, including a tight 7-6 (5) verdict by Agustin Savarino and Michael Copeland at the No. 3 slot that nailed down the point. Savarino and Copeland pushed their doubles record to 15-2 this spring.
In singles, Elon's Felipe Osses-Konig evened the match with a 6-4, 6-0, decision over UNCW's Michael Morphy at No. 6 singles before Ignasi de Rueda's 6-4, 6-1, verdict over Kyle Frankel gave the Seahawks a 2-1 advantage.
Senior Andres Torres extended UNCW's margin to 3-1 by downing Elon's Felipe Sarrasague, 6-4, 6-2, setting up Michael Copeland's 6-3, 6-4, triumph against Camilo Ponce at No. 4 singles. Copeland picked up his team-leading 17th singles victory of the campaign.
#3 UNCW 4, #2 Elon 1
2018 CAA Semifinals
April 20, 2018 | Jimmy Powell Tennis Center | Elon, N.C.
1. Andres Torres (UNCW) def. Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) 6-4, 6-2
2. Agustin Savarino (UNCW) vs. Mario Paccini (ELON) 7-5, 4-2, unfinished
3. Ignasi de Rueda (UNCW) def. Kyle Frankel (ELON) 6-4, 6-1
4. Michael Copeland (UNCW) def. Camilo Ponce (ELON) 6-3, 6-4
5. Daniel Groom (UNCW) vs. Jacob Bicknell (ELON) 7-6 (7-3), 4-5, unfinished
6. Felipe Osses-Konig (ELON) def. Michael Morphy (UNCW) 6-4, 6-0
1. Raphael Calzi/Ignasi de Rueda (UNCW) def. Mario Paccini/Neal Port (ELON) 6-4
2. Taylor Foote/Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) def. Andres Torres/Michael Morphy (UNCW) 6-4
3. Michael Copeland/Agustin Savarino (UNCW) def. Camilo Ponce/Kyle Frankel (ELON) 7-6 (7-5)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,3,1,4)