First Shark Attack in Myrtle Beach - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

First Shark Attack in Myrtle Beach

AUGUST 23, 2005 -- State wildlife officials say deep bite marks indicate an eight-year-old Pennsylvania boy swimming in Myrtle Beach earlier this week was attacked by a shark. It's the first confirmed shark attack at Myrtle Beach this year.

A relative says Jacob Kolessar of Mountain Top, Pennsylvania, received numerous stitches and is recovering from bites on his side and chest.

Glenn Ulrich is a biologist with the Natural Resources Department. He says he thinks the bite was unintentional. Ulrich says it could have been a small blacktip shark, which feed close to the shore.

The boy told emergency workers he saw several small fish swimming near him before he was bitten Sunday morning.

There have been no fatal shark attacks in South Carolina since the 1800s.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly