WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Crews responded to a structure fire in Wilmington Thursday morning.
According to New Hanover County dispatch, fire crews responded to a fire on Madison Street shortly before 7:30 a.m.
Two elderly people were in the home at the time of the fire.
Fire officials say the fire was extinguished at approximately 8 a.m. and it was caused by improperly disposing of smoking materials.
The smoke detectors in the home did alert the people so they were able to get out safely and uninjured.