WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Before you pitch your pumpkins, you may want to think about using them (not the carved ones!) in a recipe that you can enjoy long past Halloween.
Chef Gwen Gulliksen from Cape Fear Community College joined us Tuesday on WECT News First at Four to show us her recipe for lemon-ginger pumpkin butter.
ICYMI, the recipe is below.
LEMON-GINGER PUMPKIN BUTTER
(Makes 3 - 4 oz jars)
- Pie Pumpkin 1 each = 2 cups of cooked pumpkin
- Water 1 cup
- Sugar ½ cup
- Lemon 1, juiced
- Ginger, ground 1 tsp
1. Bake the pumpkin at 400 degrees for 1 hour until soft to the touch (like a baked potato, whole with holes poked into it)
2. When the pumpkin is cool, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and keep the flesh.
3. Puree the flesh with the water in a blender until smooth.
4. Pour the pumpkin puree into a sauce pan and add all other ingredients.
5. Bring to a boil then simmer it on medium low heat until thick – about 45 minutes. Cool before storing in 3-4oz jars.
6. Keep refrigerated for up to two weeks.