WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Want to take your Halloween costumes to the next level?
Natalie Knight can help and on WECT's First at Four on Friday, she gave step-by-step instructions on how to make costumes of two popular characters -- Wonder Woman and Jon Snow.
"If you don't know how to sew, this is the perfect way to get the Wonder Woman costume," Knight, a costume designer, said.
According to Knight, great Halloween costumes can be made for not a lot of money and she added, "There is YouTube video for almost anything you want to do."
Below are the steps for the Wonder Woman and Jon Snow costumes:
Wonder Woman Costume (craft foam, spray paint, fabric puff paint, glue gun, template pieces)
- Purchase black corset and leather-like fabric
- Cut out craft foam pieces (red ones for bodice can be kept in order by numbering the backs)
- Spray paint the craft foam (gold for accessories, red glitter for bodice)
- Have someone put the corset on and use glue gun to glue pieces to corset
- Use puff paint to add character
- Once you finish with main part of costume, accessorize with sword (Dollar Store has them) and rope
Jon Snow Costume
With a little creative thinking, you can use different items to achieve the look you want.
To get the fur look on the cape, you could do one of these two things:
- Purchase fur from fabric store (this can be fairly costly at $20/yard)
- Use a fur-like rug. The real Jon Snow costume actually uses a rug from IKEA for the fur on his cape.
Knight found a fur woman's vest at a consignment shop and was able to sew the armholes together and attach it to a cheap cape that she also found at thrift store.
Once the fur is attached to the cape, you can use some scraps of leather-like material to make the cross straps.
For the Night King pin, use some clay from a craft store and use Rub n Buff to make the clay look like metal, then attach the pin base to it.
Knight said a pin that is being sold online is around $15 with shipping, so you are saving yourself money and having fun being creative in the process of making your own.