NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) - The Better Business Bureau Serving Coastal Carolina is warning you about scammers who are using the Equifax breach to steal your personal information.
The Equifax breach, the largest in U.S. history, affects 145 million people.
Now, scammers are calling consumers claiming to be Equifax in order to steal personal information.
They claim to be Equifax calling to verify your account information.
If you receive this or a similar call, hang up and don't share anything. Equifax will not call you out of the blue.
BBB offered the following tips to avoid this and similar scams:
- Do not answer calls from unknown numbers. If it is a legitimate contact, they will leave a message. Even if a scammer leaves a message, this will give consumers time to think about what is being asked of them.
- Know that scammers are calling and impersonating legitimate businesses, organizations and charities. The best thing one can do to prevent from falling victim is to hang up, find the appropriate phone number and call them directly to speak to a representative.
- Write down the phone number of scammers and then file a scam report with the BBB’s Scam Tracker www.bbb.org/scamtracker.
- Check out Nomorobo.com, an app that takes consumers off any phone call that comes in as a robo-call, an automated or machine-made call. Nomorobo is free for landlines and $1.99 for iPhones. The company states a version for Android is in the works.
- If you gave your personal information to an imposter, it’s time to change any compromised passwords, account numbers or security questions. And if you’re concerned about identity theft, visitIdentityTheft.gov to learn how you can protect yourself. For more information about the Equifax breach, visit Equifax’s website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com.
BBB is also holding a free event in Wilmington soon to help you protect your personal information.
On Wednesday, Oct. 25, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Monkey Junction Shopping Center, you can shred your personal documents for free. The event is held in conjunction with Shred 360 and Lowes Foods in Wilmington.